Friday, February 27, 2009

Disgusted!


I just wanted to post a little food for thought. I am on the recycling team at my work and I love it! Lame as it may seem to be excited about garbage I am so happy to work for a company that is making conscious efforts to reduce their footprint on the planet. Grocery stores are the worst when it comes to waste. You would be shocked to see how much trash we can produce. On this team we are creating a fail proof program so we can seriously reduce or waste. We are now part of a co-mingle recycling program and the stores that are on board 100% are probably diverting half of there waste from the landfill. If we were A+ we could probably make that 75%. 2 of our stores have started composting all of there organic waste like produce and floral trimmings, can I say AWESOME! Our floral center is now considered a zero waste facility because they are composting and recycling about 95% of there waste. I hope one day our store can get there...at least I can dream. Anyway...awhile ago I was looking online for some statistics and I discovered a disgusting and horrific thing that I feel I need to share with everyone I see. The great pacific garbage patch! If anything should motivate you to reduce, reuse and recycle this should......

“It is roughly the size of Texas, containing approximately 3.5 million tons of trash. Shoes, toys, bags, pacifiers, wrappers, toothbrushes, and bottles too numerous to count are only part of what can be found in this accidental dump floating midway between Hawaii and San Francisco.”

“Much of our waste today is comprised of plastic that does not biodegrade. This waste accumulates in swirling seas of debris, where plastic to sea life ratios are 6:1; where birds and mammals are dying of starvation and dehydration with bellies full of plastics; where fish are ingesting toxins at such a rate that soon they will no longer be safe to eat.”





I will stop talking now. I just wanted to share what we are doing to our planet...a little food for thought. Next time you go to buy a water bottle, bag your grocery's in plastic bags or let your recyclable items be dumped in the landfill think of the Great Garbage Patch.

1 comment:

Tammie Marie said...

yuck-ie.....When Jade and I were still living in slc. there was only one place that you could recycle. it was up on 33rd.I think somewhere by the A&W. everyone thought Jade was crazy for sorting through our trash. looking up what #'s could be dropped off. Then fast forward to now. Lots have changed. But there is much more that can be done. It just makes good sence. Just remember. When you throw somthing out. It dosn't just disapear. Away is some where.
You will be glad to know that Jade and I are plaining a eco-friendly garden and compost area on the property this summer. We have been gearing up for this for some time now. Jade has been looking up building plains. Can't wait for it to be done. Up and running. We will have you up for a tour when it is. Freash Eggs, veggies,fruit and clean green living. go earth ! Go Hailey.! Go everyone!!!!